Yarra Ranges Ulysses
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10 plus 10: things to remember, things I learned

4 posters

Go down

10 plus 10: things to remember, things I learned  Empty Re: 10 plus 10: things to remember, things I learned

Post by Henry Rokx Sat Jan 12 2013, 21:56

Our March social will include a visit from Andy Strapz. Andy now carries a lot of gear
including safety and first aid and also a mini-compressor. So if interested in having a look
first hand, come along on March 28 to Chirnside Park. Some gear will be available for sale
or you can order.

Henry Rokx

Henry Rokx

Back to top Go down

10 plus 10: things to remember, things I learned  Empty Re: 10 plus 10: things to remember, things I learned

Post by toneli Sat Jan 12 2013, 13:34

Hi Bruce ...

I've seen the ads for these compact compressors but have yet to launch out and acquire one. At the moment I am gambling on good fortune and hoping that I will get to a servo or mechanic before the tyre deflates totally.

I am guessing that the cylinders you refer to are those small CO2 cylinders like are used for soda fountains.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still keeping my eyes open on these compact compressors.

Eliot
toneli
toneli

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce j Sat Jan 12 2013, 09:09

Mini-compressors are available for $30-$40. With 3 bikes and riding with others, mine has had frequent use. As Steve Doling would agree, there are some punctures you just can't repair (we both had valve stem issues at different times and different bikes). I also carry cylinders which I have used and I don't know the name of my tyre repair kit (bought it from a guy called Noah) but I know others who have used the same and were happy with the result, which is to get to the nearest shop for a proper repair/tyre replacement.

bruce j

Back to top Go down

10 plus 10: things to remember, things I learned  Empty Puncture repair kit/s

Post by toneli Fri Jan 11 2013, 20:27

Hi there, Pinkteflon ...

Glad you enjoyed reading the report. It will be a great memory for me.

I too am one of those who recently (31/12.2009) returned to the motorcycle after 20 or so years. And previously I had only small (as in tiny 120cc) bikes. But they did the job and did it so economically!

Now I am thoroughly enjoying a 650 cc bike and its overtaking and highway abilities. And trying desperately to avoid all those discretionary taxes exceeding various speed limits can "gift" one.

Re puncture repair kits ... not sure I am the one to whom you should address your question though. I enjoy looking through and reading the various MC mags, both the features and the ads. In looking through the mags I noticed ads for the Dynaplug brand of repair kit. From the ads it looked really compact and easy to use so I sent away for the tool and a set of extra repair plugs. Total $s approx 30.00. The Dynaplug people were also at the M/cycle Expo in Geoff's shed in November.

I have used the repair kit on one of my car tyres. I think I was unable to get the plug completely through the tread of the tyre but so far - about 2 months - the tyre pressure has held and it seems to be an effective repair.

From my very limited experience, I reckon I can recommend what I have. It compares in size to a thick handled screw driver with a two inch "blade", and the repair bits fit inside the handle ... very compact. The repair plugs are about 3 mm in diameter and have a pointy brass head to them. Quite thick enough for the regular puncture culprits like nails and panel pins.

The guys at the expo were demonstrating how to repair tyres with multiple plugs. I heard them talking about using up to three plugs for one repair.

I've just had another look at the instruction sheet that comes with the tool and they have a warning statement which is to use the plugs only on round punctures, not on cuts, tears or sidewalls.

My big worry, though, is a puncture so far away form anywhere that I wouldn't be able to get to the servo before the tyre deflated. So I am looking around for a really compact air compressor to carry around with me.

Re your BMW outfit ... Does BMW offer replacements for their consumables?

BTW, Brian or Max at Bike Mart in Ringwood may be able to offer some advice on this. They seem to have a wealth of information at their fingertips.

The easiest way out for me though, is to get to a repair shop before the tyre deflates completely, and let the mechanics get their hands dirty.

Hope the above is helpful for you.

Have a great weekend, and ride safe.

Eliot (Toneli)
toneli
toneli

Back to top Go down

10 plus 10: things to remember, things I learned  Empty tyre repair kit

Post by Pinkteflon Fri Jan 11 2013, 18:52

Great reading toneli
As a rider returning after a 20 year lay off.
And my longest ride has been to Swanpool a couple of months ago with the club
Tyre repair kit.
I have a kit, BMW tip top brand I think, kidney shape rubber pieces
It has been used by the prervious owner, so I want to replace it.
I looked at Youtube last night, just to see how they work.
There are so many different types, One you screw in and break off. That looks like the easiest.
Then there's heaps of cement type ones.
I release this is a personal choice but any feedback would be appricated
Terry

Pinkteflon
Pinkteflon
Admin

Back to top Go down

10 plus 10: things to remember, things I learned  Empty 10 plus 10: things to remember, things I learned

Post by toneli Fri Jan 11 2013, 16:08

10 plus 10: things to remember, things I learned (while on the SaddleSore 1000 (1600 Km) ride)

PLANNING

1. Travel light. Make a list of those items you plan on taking, both personal and for your bike. Remember that on your ride you likely won't need one shirt (or one pair of socks) each day. You likely won't be that close to anyone else to be bothered too much with BO. You also, likely, won't be exerting yourself too much while ensconced on your iron steed. So four shirts for four days was two too many! Same with socks. BUT don't skimp on undies! You just may need that extra pair. And good hygiene for the nether regions can have great benefits in the longer term. A small pack of Baby Wipes could well come in handy.

2. When planning a time constrained ride, pack your bike, or as much as you can, the night before departure.

3. Plan your route carefully and stick to it. Leave a copy of your route with your wife or partner. They may need it to send out a "search" party.

4. When on a time constrained ride, search out those roads with the highest speed limits and use them. Also use those roads which may have less traffic than the regular route – on these you may see fewer boys (and girls) in blue.

5. Take your camera … but make sure you have it set for the quality of picture you want. You could wait until you get home to check your pics but by then it's too late (trust me) to change the resolution. And remember to include a very small tripod so you can get yourself in the pic.

6. Ensure your bike has tyres to last the distance and a good service before departing. Better done at home than on the side of the road or in some strange and unfamiliar town.

7. Take along a puncture repair kit (including needle nose pliers to extract that troublesome nail) with you and know how to use it. If you're lucky you won't need it. If not quite so lucky you may need it but be in a town where you can use the servo's free air to reinflate your tyre.

8. Take a can of chain lube, regardless of the fact that you may have just greased up the chain the day before you depart. You just may find it better to grease the chain half way through the ride than waiting until you get home or being caught with a dirty dry chain miles before your get home. Trust me! A can of WD40 to wash the dust off the chain before greasing may also be worthwhile.

9. What about workshop tools? Take just enough to do the essentials, like, adjusting the chain, greasing the chain and repairing a puncture. Chances are you would never tackle any major work on the side of the road or in a "foreign" town miles from home.

10. Be prepared to be "rescued". Develop a plan B if you need to find an alternative way home because of either bike or stamina failure.

ON THE RIDE

1. Keep yourself hydrated. Now that means a balance between hold ups for comfort stops and fluid consumption, but if you dehydrate, you could be in deep doo-doos. Cramps are the least of the problems you may encounter.

2. Ensure that you keep your body fuelled up. Don't skimp on food, and then again, don't over indulge.

3. Keep alert for posted speed limit signs, for the boys (and girls) in blue, for radar camera cars AND keep an eye on your speedo. The venture is going to cost you without having to pay additional discretionary taxes.

4. When tired or feeling fatigued, STOP. No point in coming home in a box. And know the warning signs.

5. Ride at night to your own peril. Avoid, like the plague, riding at night in the out-back. If you must, go very carefully with a good understanding of the local wildlife and its behaviour. Kangaroos, emus, camels and donkeys are unpredictable. Wombats are muddle headed, slow, and they are all like brick walls if you run into them.

6. Never drive faster than the distance in which you can stop or see. If you are riding at night, you must be able stop within the distance of the headlight-lit road ahead, and before the 'roos jump in the line of your front wheel.

7. Mobile telephone coverage is not always what the internet coverage maps of the service provider says. Out-back coverage can be very "sketchy" and unreliable except in the larger towns. Keep in regular contact with your "minder" – your wife or partner. Make sure you leave them with details of the route you plan to take (and stick with the plan or let them know of any changes).

8. You can't count on service stations to have motorcycle specific lubricants, ie, chain grease or engine oil. Some servos may have supplies because of the "ag" bikes used by the locals. But supply is not guaranteed.

9. There is more than one way to tie your tent and sleeping bag onto your bike. You could use bungie cords if you trust them. You could use the "truckies" way of tying things down. You could use the "back-yardies" way – but you need to remember that any knots you tie will need to be undone … easily, later. You might choose the shop-keepers way or any combination of the above. I found the best way was to use the shop-keepers mail-order method of parcel tying combined with the truckies way of tying things down. How's that? Shop-keepers use a slip knot and draw the string back through the "noose" or "loop", then pull the long end to tighten the noose or loop around the item being tied. When that's done use the truckies method to tie the "parcel", aka, tent or sleeping bag to the tie-down points on the bike. Worked a charm. All knots – slip knots, modified sheep shank, clove hitch and a couple of half hitches – are all easy to undo yet will remain tight all day, and longer.

10. If camping overnight you will likely be taking your tent and sleeping bag or bed-roll. Make sure you have something to keep your sleeping bag or bed-roll dry – a waterproof bag of some sort - when travelling in the rain. Same applies to your "mattress" and "pillow". This could also apply to your tent.
toneli
toneli

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down