Yarra Ranges Ulysses
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1947 Royal Enfield Tecnical Problem

2 posters

Go down

1947 Royal Enfield Tecnical Problem Empty Re: 1947 Royal Enfield Tecnical Problem

Post by Davelyons Mon Nov 18 2013, 20:43

Thanks Mick, if I make it to brunch this Sat I'll get some more ideas if you don't mind.

Davelyons

Back to top Go down

1947 Royal Enfield Tecnical Problem Empty Re: 1947 Royal Enfield Tecnical Problem

Post by crofty48 Mon Nov 18 2013, 07:59

Contact sets/points as they open 'break' the circuit and induce the spark, the low tension wire connects to the moving part of the contact set and must be insulated so that when the 'points' open the current is broken. Regards Mick Crofts.  I hope to be at Brunch on saturday, look me up if you like.

crofty48

http://crofty48@hotmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelyons Mon Nov 18 2013, 07:35

Hi mark, thanks I'll look at that - tell me then, the points come in two pieces, one point screws into the housing and is able to be adjusted to set the gap, the second point is a long flat bit of spring steel. The housing that they both screw into revolves around and has two screws one is hollow with a bit a felt type material that makes contact with the backing plate, I assume this conducts the electricity. Now the housing also has a non conductive washer in the same shape so would the electrify flow continuously and stop when the gap opens? If that is so why don't you get a continuos spark, or does the gap allow the charge time to build up?

Davelyons

Back to top Go down

Post by crofty48 Sun Nov 17 2013, 19:38

I was a car mechanic, not bike, but usually if you had spark to start with, it's either you haven't cleaned the contact faces properly, or you have earthed out the contact set. Take them out and re-clean them and be aware of how you refit the Low-tension wire, if it worked before then it's something you did in fitting the new contact set. Regards Mick Crofts.

crofty48

http://crofty48@hotmail.com

Back to top Go down

1947 Royal Enfield Tecnical Problem Empty 1947 Royal Enfield Tecnical Problem

Post by Davelyons Sat Nov 16 2013, 07:24

Hi guys, I replaced the points on my old enfield and can longer get the plug to spark. I've checked the plug, it's not that, the points gap looks okay - I'm completely stumped. I can't find any details about a 1947 enfield all the manuals I've managed to locate refer to newer models. I should say the points are nothing like the points on a normal car or bike.

For one there is no condenser, and it looks like the power that passes through the points comes from a hollow bolt that has insert that must conduct power.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Davelyons

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down