Yarra Ranges Ulysses
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SaddleSore 1000 (1600 Km)

Go down

SaddleSore 1000 (1600 Km) Empty SaddleSore 1000 (1600 Km)

Post by toneli Thu Dec 27 2012, 22:54

Thursday, December 20, 2012. Just five days to Christmas, four days to Christmas Eve. Was there sufficient time for this adventure? What about the weather. December can get so stinking hot on the way to the planned destination.

Some little time ago I came across the Iron Butt Association's website. And the information relating to the SaddleSore and Bun Burner rides; 1000 miles in 24 hours or 1500 miles in 36 hours. If only I had read carefully the web site I might have attempted the 1500 mile ride. But that could well be another challenge.

Plans, including time and average speed estimates were made, distances were confirmed through Google maps, and the route decided. The question of which bike? was a no brainer. It had to be the one in the garage, a 2008 Suzuki SV650s.

The ride would be from BP Service Station cnr Old Lilydale Road and Maroondah Highway, Ringwood to Ceduna on the west coast of South Australia. The route would initially be via the Calder Highway to Marong (on the Bendigo by-pass), then on to St Arnaud, Donald, Birchip and Ouyen. From Ouyen the ride would take me into South Australia and on to Glen Osmond, Adelaide via Lameroo, Pinnaroo, Tailem Bend and the South Eastern Freeway. And yes, this is a longer way to get to Adelaide, but the extra kilometres were required to ensure the 1600 Km were completed.

From Glen Osmond there was nothing unusual about the route – Port Wakefield, Port Augusta by pass Iron Knob across to Kimba, Kyancutta, Wudinna, Minnipa, Poochera, Wirrulla and into Ceduna.

On Thursday, December 20, the high pressure weather system was just approaching and influencing Melbourne's weather. Morning showers were forecast, clearing later in the day. Weather looked good! This would mean southerly or south easterly winds on the way up to Bendigo and on the northerly legs to Ouyen. Better than head winds!

Alarm went off just before 4:00 am! Am I really motivated for this? First day of year-end holidays and no sleep in! If the ride was to be done in mostly daylight hours, though, as planned and for safety, the early start was most important. Shower, dress, bother! Last minute items to add to the already loaded and packed bike. Throw them in the big bag. Eventually I managed to leave home just before 5:00 am. The ride was to officially start at the time of the receipt for fuel at the BP Service Station, 5.09 am.

Weather out of Melbourne was a wee bit cool and a bit damp. Dampness resulted in a little bit of road spray (and dirt) being thrown up by those trucks that failed to observe the 80 Km roadwork speed limits. Not nice. Dirty visor amongst other things. The rest of the ride to Bendigo was pretty much uneventful. Quick, with the 110 Km speed limit on the Calder, but uneventful. And the further north I went the warmer the day became. Good!

Wildlife? Yes, there was a bit: a few kangaroos around Marong, fortunately they were all in farmer Joe's paddocks. The road from Marong to St Arnaud presented quite a variety of enjoyable corners, great road surface and pleasant country-side through which to ride.

Fuel stop at St Arnaud, fuel and food taken on board at Ouyen. Then off towards South Australia. At Pinnaroo the South Australian Agriculture Department was operating the quarantine stop. Another welcome break to stretch the legs and down my last banana, the leftovers from breakfast. Road conditions from St Arnaud to Ouyen were nothing out of the ordinary. No traffic was good. Cross winds on the east-west sections, a few big and enjoyable sweepers as the road crossed railway tracks.
A great sight. 110 kph speed limit signs! From Ouyen through to Pinnaroo, on the Victorian side of the border the speed limit is posted as 110 kph. This must be the only non-freeway road in Victoria where we can enjoy a slightly higher speed limit. Pity so many drivers are incapable of driving at these higher posted limits.

The road from Ouyen to Lameroo (via Pinnaroo) crosses several sections of railway track. They told me at the quarantine station that the train rarely operated. Railway crossing have those long and wide sweeping bends – they're almost enough to stop, turn around and do them again.

Next stop – Tailem Bend. Good road, good weather, just cross winds but not too bad. Down the South Eastern Freeway into Glen Osmond. Bother! Must be the holiday traffic has started. Traffic up Portrush Road is thick and slow; really slow: all the way to Gepps Cross. Not nice!

Gepps Cross and the Port Wakefield Road is moving better, but still plenty of traffic and it's only early afternoon.

Uneventful run to Port Wakefield (fuel stop) and Port Augusta reaching Port Augusta (fuel and food and short rest) around 6:30 pm EDST.

Early evening now. Things could get very exciting (spelled "dangerous") from here. This is the time the wildlife starts emerging; could be kangaroos, emus, wombats or camels. Fortunately just one kangaroo seen west of Port Augusta, out near Iron Knob. Arrived at Kimba just before sundown. But I'll need another fuel stop to get to Ceduna.

"Any fuel at Kyancutta?"

"They're shut already," I was told. "You may be lucky at Wudinna."

Get to Wudinna, refuel and continue on. Ceduna, here I come. Another couple of hours to go. And it's now dark.

Pretty uneventful ride from Wudinna to Ceduna say a "thank-you" to Providence for keeping the wildlife off the road and keeping me in one piece. Arrived in Ceduna at 11:38 pm EDST. Total time for the ride – 18 ½ hours well within the 24 hour ride limit imposed by the Butt Burner Association for the SaddleSore 1000 ride. And only 2 ½ hours ridden in the dark on the South Australian roads.

Now to settle the big question: Where was I going to sleep at 11:15 pm local time? Managed to find a really budget cabin to spend the rest of the night.

Time and date stamped receipts were retained. Phone call log (calling in to "mission control", the missus) was maintained. And now the application has been made with Butt Burners for the award. Hopefully all will be found in order and the award forthcoming.

Friday morning was time to start thinking of returning home, but not before a quick look around Ceduna to take a few pics as evidence.

https://servimg.com/view/18009590/1 https://servimg.com/view/18009590/2

https://servimg.com/view/18009590/3

Trip home was via Streaky Bay (had thought of going to Port Lincoln but was constrained by time) then back to the Eyre Highway (Poochera) from locality of Witera (you'll need a magnifying glass to read this name on a map) near Port Kenny via a mostly dirt road through a very small locality or homestead of Yandra.

https://servimg.com/view/18009590/4 https://servimg.com/view/18009590/12

From Poochera I rode the Eyre Highway to Port Augusta. Just after Port August did a left turn to go through Horrock's Pass en route to Wilmington. Horrock's Pass is a must ride if you are ever in the area. And the road from Wilmington back to Adelaide is far more interesting than going the main highway through Port Wakefield. Before one exits Horrock's Pass there is a sign off to the right directing one to Hancock's lookout. Again, if in the area, take the seven km dirt road ride to the lookout. You get views across the Spencer Gulf to the ranges beyond. And if the day (or night) is really clear you just might be able to make out Whyalla in the west, Port Pirie in the south, and definitely Port Augusta in the north. Quite a sight.

https://servimg.com/view/18009590/13 https://servimg.com/view/18009590/14

https://servimg.com/view/18009590/15

And this is where I saw more wildlife than anywhere else on the ride. Emus – there must have been the best part of 20 birds just off this dirt road. Also saw a few emus as I was coming back into Port Augusta. Best part of seeing these big birds was that they were all quite a way off the road. So no bird-strike possibilities here.

Friday night was spent in a tent and sleeping bag (carried on the bike) at the Melrose caravan park. Melrose is situated at the foot of Mt Remarkable (960 metres high), at one time considered to be the tallest peak in South Australia. If one has time it is a must climb and a civilised track for the visitor. It has been known for snow to settle on the top. And I'm really kicking myself for not remembering to take a pic or two of the campsite, my bike and tent together.

Friday was quite warm (30+C at Kimba in the afternoon), but Saturday was promising to be warmer. I was thankful I had invested in a new well vented DriRider jacket. It proved immensely comfortable without the thermal and waterproof lining for the hotter days.

Rather than travelling through Adelaide, I detoured from Gawler and travelled through the Adelaide hills via Sandy Creek, Williamstown, Mt Pleasant, Tungkillo and Palmer to Murray Bridge. Not a quick ride, but quite scenic and some great corners, especially descending from the hills to the river flats of the Murray. Some of this route, as well as Horrock's Pass, features in the Australian Motorcycle Atlas, 4th Edn.

Murray Bridge, Tailem Bend, Keith, Bordertown … the usual way home. Nothing to look forward to as far as the ride is concerned. Just keep an eye open for the men in blue, the posted speed limit signs and the speedo. But not quite!

Slowing down for Kaniva I noticed an unnerving noise from under the bike. Didn't have a clue as to what it was. Nursed the bike to Nhill – 75 kph max for next 40 km - by which time I had concluded that the chain was dry as – the dirt road to Poochera in SA! Acquired chain lube at Nhill and soaked the chain with it. Things improved immediately but not totally, so continued to nurse the bike to Horsham – another 36 km at 80 kph max. Bought more chain lube in Horsham and applied even more. By the time I reached Ararat the chain noise seemed to have disappeared so managed to make it back home at the speed limits, arriving home at 12:30 am Sunday morning.

So there it is. Thursday, Friday, Saturday night. SaddleSore 1000 (1600 Km) ride in 24 hours and then the return home. Bike needs a new chain. Back side was tired but still intact, thighs sore, and throttle hand tired and sore. Really great to be back in own bed on Sunday morning.

[img][/img]
toneli
toneli

Back to top Go down