Yarra Ranges Ulysses
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Show 'shine at Box Hill...

3 posters

Go down

Show 'shine at Box Hill... Empty Battery dying

Post by Firefly_au Tue May 06 2014, 08:35

Hi Sheri,

I tested it when I got home and it initially worked fine - then I left the headlight on for a few minutes and watched the battery voltage drop with a voltmeter. It started out ok at 12.5volts but dropped very quickly to under 11volts. Then when I tried to start the bike it dropped to less than 3 volts under load and failed to turn the motor over. With the engine running the voltage is over 14 volts which indicates the charging system is working and that the battery is dying. Ive got it booked in at RPM this morning for a new battery. We rarely change batteries until they start playing up so this isn't an issue of engineering in my opinion.

Cheers,
Nigel
Firefly_au
Firefly_au

Back to top Go down

Show 'shine at Box Hill... Empty Re: Show 'shine at Box Hill...

Post by bikechickadee Mon May 05 2014, 07:02

Ahh but Nigel you own a Honda!! No reliability problems you just don't ride your darling bike enough!!
Incidentally my original Honda battery died about 2 years ago and to get an original spec Yuasa battery was $255!! from battery world or bike mart I actually settled on a Motobat battery from Mad about bikes in Dorset rd for $87 fitted. It is a Chinese made copy of the Yuasa battery. So far it is 2 years old & I haven't had any problems with it. Although I do ride 2-3 times a week.
I did the Melb branch 30th anniversary ride and called it quits at the morning tea stop in Drouin (only about 90km from the start) as the weather was so shocking that I could barely see the road at all. Not a nic feeling plus having rain water down your undies, Yuck!!!

Last edited by bikechickadee on Mon May 05 2014, 07:06; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sp)
bikechickadee
bikechickadee

Back to top Go down

Show 'shine at Box Hill... Empty Nice time despite the weather

Post by Firefly_au Sun May 04 2014, 18:11

Thanks to all who attended I had a nice time - despite the weather and my battery deciding it needed a push.
Time for a new one I reckon and a trickle charger.

This unreliability will not do Sad
Firefly_au
Firefly_au

Back to top Go down

Show 'shine at Box Hill... Empty Show 'shine at Box Hill...

Post by Placid Sun May 04 2014, 17:41

Eight hardy souls braved the weather this morning and attended the Show ‘n Shine at Box Hill. A lot of rain and very little shelter, but it was a very social and enjoyable day out. Congratulations to Sandra and Bruce. Sandra’s bike won the prize after a toss of the coin when there was a draw in the voting with Bruce’s bike. Thanks to Kelvin and Don for looking after us on the day.
Placid
Placid

Back to top Go down

Show 'shine at Box Hill... Empty Re: Show 'shine at Box Hill...

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down