Yarra Ranges Ulysses
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marysville to Eildon Ride (Sat. Nov. 19th at Twin Spurs Rally)

3 posters

Go down

Marysville to Eildon Ride (Sat. Nov. 19th at Twin Spurs Rally) Empty Re: Marysville to Eildon Ride (Sat. Nov. 19th at Twin Spurs Rally)

Post by Placid Sun Nov 20 2016, 16:21

Who put tionary on the end of the post?
Placid
Placid

Back to top Go down

Marysville to Eildon Ride (Sat. Nov. 19th at Twin Spurs Rally) Empty Re: Marysville to Eildon Ride (Sat. Nov. 19th at Twin Spurs Rally)

Post by crofty48 Sun Nov 20 2016, 15:38

Me thinks ADMIN may need to step in here 'lest this' becomes "Who has the bigger dictionary"?

crofty48

http://crofty48@hotmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GuyW Sun Nov 20 2016, 13:52

Nice rebuttal, but alas there are factual errors that bring you undone. It is actually an Airhawk 'Granny Supreme' and there are small sections of grey on my so called 'white helmet'.

Let's call it a 1-all draw and if we need to go to a tiebreaker it can be who has the taller handlebars.  rabbit

touché

GuyW

Back to top Go down

Post by crofty48 Sun Nov 20 2016, 12:40

I will not have 'mine and Fonz's' good names besmirched by a "bright blue, harley riding nomad who has no understanding of the Finer Points incorporated in preparing this particular excursion!
 F.Y.I, we were NOT lost at any time, we had it on very good authority that we were still in Victoria, furthermore, no camels were injured in the making/enacting of this extremely resourceful ride, unbeknowns to you, Guy, a tricky "U" turn was carefully planned into this ride merely to enhance the older riders 'skill levels' and as for Phil and Tony, well this too was a planned exercise to catch out those among us not familiar with corner marking, and to further "highlight" just how easily things can get out of hand!
 Yet I can understand why you thought things went awry, however the cunning Fonz and myself were 'fully aware' of the plan all along, and were not dissappointed to find you were the only one paying enough attention to discover the ploy we set for the rest of the group!
  Well done' on being the only one to find us out! And let that be a lesson to all you others, Pay Attention and you too would have seen yourselves being led astray!
 Best Regards Crofty.   PS in regards lost riders, Fonz and I are convinced they were never their in the first place?

Thank you Mick for saving our valued "good names"  .
p.s. The said Harley rider is also the same one with an Air Hawk granny seat and a White helmet

It also adds another dimension  to the old and often abused joke of "how do you make a ewe turn"

Marysville to Eildon Ride (Sat. Nov. 19th at Twin Spurs Rally) The-fo10

crofty48

http://crofty48@hotmail.com

Back to top Go down

Marysville to Eildon Ride (Sat. Nov. 19th at Twin Spurs Rally) Empty Marysville to Eildon Ride (Sat. Nov. 19th at Twin Spurs Rally)

Post by GuyW Sat Nov 19 2016, 23:03

I rode in to Brunch to have a quiet breakfast, read the paper and mind my own business. Next minute I'm accosted by Kelvin Blair and Eric Crombie and told, 'Saddle up, you're coming to Marysville'. No breakfast for me, not even a coffee. To make matters worse Ed Morris told me he didn't have my $100 note from last Saturday. He claimed someone called 'Liz' had it. A likely story.

We had a nice ride to Marysville under a cloudless sky, taking the most direct route along the Maroondah Hwy and over the Black Spur, arriving just before 11 am. The last 10 kilometres I spent dreaming of the lovely 'big breakfast' with eggs, bacon, sausages, hash browns and avocado that I was about to order.

With the other two I pulled into the caravan park that is booked out by the club every Twin Spurs Rally weekend, eased off the bike and was told, 'Saddle up boys, you're coming to Eildon. Ride leaves in 5 minutes.' What?  pale

There were bikes everywhere and the place looked really nice. It's amazing how it's bounced back so well from the fire. All the cabins were shaded by trees. I made a mental note that next year I will definitely be doing Twin Spurs... no excuses.

About 25 or so Ulyssians assembled for the ride to Eildon for lunch (I kissed the idea of breakfast goodbye) with an eclectic range of conveyances including all manner of motorbikes, a trike, someone in a car who seemed to later disappear and maybe someone on a horse, but I'm not willing to swear to it.

Okay, how hard can it be to ride from Marysville to Eildon as a cohesive group?  Well... just to be certain, the group had appointed a high powered 'Brains Trust' of Crofty and Fonzie to plan and execute the whole thing like a military exercise. Furthermore, we had a cunning plan. We appointed Phil to be Tail End Charlie on his trike, but also had Kelvin in a fluorescent exploding safety vest that made him look for all the world like a, well... Tail End Charlie. As Max would say, 'The old double decoy trick, Ninety Nine.'

So the official positions were as follows.

Ride leader: Crofty
Person who rides up and down overtaking people: Fonzie
Tail End Charlie: Phil
Person who looks like the Tail End Charlie but has no official position: Kelvin.

What could possibly go wrong?

Well for starters it's always risky having Mick as Ride Leader because of his rascally identical twin brother John. As it turned out, John didn't appear to be there, so he was unable to infiltrate the ride and then take a random turnoff followed by half the riders.

Anyway, we got as far as maybe Alexandra and, to give Phil's version of events, the corner marking system went tits up. The crime scene re-enactment appears to have established that some corner marker thought Kelvin was TEC and took off after him, leaving the real TEC and a small group of unfortunates to guess (incorrectly) which way we'd gone. Others claimed that the corner marking system blew up at least twice, but anyway, once was enough.

We were also entertained by two u-turns which I'd assumed were due to wild camels blocking the road. However, I have since learnt that the ride leader became temporarily 'location challenged', or to put it another way, took the wrong road. A mean spirited person could have described it as something of a shemozzle, but the sun was shining, Fonzie's favourite Skyline Rd was a treat to ride and the view out over Eildon from the lookout was stunning. We stopped and took a few photos (PLEASE ADD), let some cool air in and noted that Phil and a few others were mysteriously absent.

As we cruised along I reflected on how you can really do a lot of decent thinking on rides and wondered if Plato and Aristotle were maybe motorcyclists? For about 15 minutes I thought about how my arse was getting a bit sore, then I became very interested in an insect that got inside my visor. Rides definitely stimulate the brain.

When we got to the bakery at Eildon it became official. This was the first Yarra Ranges Ulysses ride where the Tail End Charlie arrived 20 minutes before the Ride Leader! A proud moment for us all.

Finally I got to order food and decided to have one large roll for breakfast and one large roll for lunch, simultaneously. A nice thing about these kind of events is that you get to know more about your fellow club members. I was at a table with Homer and he kindly told us about his valuable rare bird. It sounded like it's a Han's Macaw, a smaller version of the Macaw, presumably named after Han Solo, the intergalactic pirate who must have had one perched on his shoulder. I reckon if Homer got himself an eye patch and a wooden leg, with his own Macaw perched on his shoulder he'd cakewalk into the next 'Pirates of the Caribbean' as an extra. Apparently this bird cost him thousands of dollars. As some wag pointed out, he could have got a similar one for ten bucks at Coles, and already cooked.

Eric then chimed in with a story about a bloke who had a cockatoo that swore. One day it swore at his guests so he grabbed it and stuck it in the freezer to chill out. After 15 minutes he took the avian miscreant out and the shivering bird promised never to swear again. It then asked him fearfully, 'What the hell did that frozen chook in there, do?' Once you've heard that joke you can never un-hear it. Sorry folks.

Fonzie nominated me to write this ride report despite me not knowing how many riders were there, what roads we'd ridden on and being basically clueless. The vote passed on a show of hands with one against. (Me) cheers After my two rolls I felt a bit full but to console myself about being ride reporter I ordered a large chocolate covered biscuit they called a 'wagon wheel' but twice the girth of the old Westons ones. I was a quarter way into it and making hard work of it when I heard the shout go out, 'Saddle up, we're heading back'. Just no luck... ever.

The ride back to Marysville was uneventful as far as I can tell and despite the minor misadventures on the way to Eildon we all finished the ride butter side up, so it was declared a successful outing. Actually one Snake who shall remain nameless almost dropped his bike, allegedly for the first time in 30 years, right at the start of the ride, but caught it just in time to save his reputation.

Although I do occasionally take the piss a bit, sincere thanks to Mick Crofts and John Eckhardt for organising a very enjoyable ride and to Fabulous Phil Bellamy for agreeing to TEC, even if he did arrive first through no fault of his own.

After some refreshments and good company back at the cabins, the three of us not staying overnight headed off with talk of an impending 'roast pig on spit' ringing in our ears. Kelvin was ride leader, Eric was the main bunch and I was Tail End Charlie and we didn't stuff it up once. Now that's how you do it. Very Happy

GuyW

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down