Bike Repairs, maybe you can see what I'm missing!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Bike Repairs, maybe you can see what I'm missing!

Post by Degzi on Wed Nov 14 2012, 17:38

and $1200 for a new crush washer Very Happy
Degzi

Back to top Go down

Post by glitch_oz on Wed Nov 14 2012, 16:44

The problem is that by now the ballgame is between the insurer and repairer.
Once a claim is lodged and "in the system", it's often near impossible to turn the game to the wishes of the claimant/ insured....it just follows the usual paths of assessment, wrangle about the details of the repair and associated costs, a decision is made to either repair or write-off.
Then things go from there.
If it's a write-off and in Alice, the insurance will pay the transport to the nearest auction yard (Adelaide) and try to get as much as possible for it.

Even if the insurer knocks down the quote to 60 or 70% of the $11.5k, it'll be an economic write-off. The insurer cashes in the remaining rego (which might cover part/ all of the transport costs thus far and/ or the transport to Adelaide). The "wreck" will bring the insurer about $1700-3500 depending on details and damage, as they take over ownership after having paid you out.

Of course you don't have to accept their first offer, but once they've made a decision as to a write-off, the VIN-number of the vehicle will be on the WOVR-register, and there's nothing you can do about it.
It will then carry the "written-off" tag for the rest of its life, if it gets repaired or not.
In the end it's only a numbers game and the insurer wants to lose as little as possible on the claim, regardless of who sits on the fence and screams "foul"....repairer and owner included.

glitch_oz

Back to top Go down

Post by Pato on Wed Nov 14 2012, 14:23

Hi All,
Thanks for the replies and the information.
Glitch you obviously have a great knowledge of these bikes.

The Strom is an 09 model and insured for market value, they won't tell me a payout figure until it goes to the total loss division. I was hoping to get that information to help me make a decision on which way to go.

When I talked to the assessor (he was in cairns and was looking at the quote and photos to make his assessment) he said they had quoted for things like a new tank which I was sure had no damage and a new muffler which again had no damage as its between the pannier and the bike. He didn't mention anything major like the forks or the frame. There was only $1000 labour quoted for the job all the rest was parts.

The difficulty is that the bike is still in Alcie Springs and I'm here in Melbourne, I would be much happier to be able to go and see the bike again or even get a quote from someone that I was confident in.
I can't get a copy of the quote either so don't really know what it's for.
When talking to the insurance company about it he said that they have to repair the bike to showroom condition so I guess that any little imperfections that were there before are being replaced as well.

I know I can get the money from the insurance but until I know how much I don't know if it will be enough to buy another one of similar condition. In my experience they always seem to pay less than what is required to buy the same thing again.

It just seems to me to be a great waste to write off a bike that doesn't appear to be that bad pale

Pato

Back to top Go down

Post by glitch_oz on Tue Nov 13 2012, 20:12

Pato wrote:
Am I mistaken or does there not seem that much damage?

Hi

I've been involved in V-Strom crash repairs and servicing/ repairing/ modding/ kitting out etc for the last 8 years or so and have learnt that it's just impossible to get an accurate idea about repair efforts by only looking at a pic.
$11.5k sounds a lot, but knowing spare part prices and working on the usual $100-120 per workshop hour, that sort of amount comes together quickly.
Repairers/ bikeshops aren't neccessarily keen on repairs and over-quote/ fluff-quote to get the job out of the way and the bike off the yard and to the auctions. For some examples....a front wheel (cast) with a good dent/ flat spot is not allowed to be "rolled/ straightened" anymore, it has to be replaced. Hard to see on a photo....but the front rim alone is ~ A$800. Then add a set of bearings and seals. OEM, naturally, at around the $150 mark. Add an axle @ A$ 120 and a set of brake-discs, if they show a wobble/ runout/ dent....@~ A$300 each.

Forklegs got a tiny kink? About A$500 each for the fork tubes....small bits like seals/ dustcaps etc to complete the job, all OEM parts, of course, around the A$200.
Forkboot @ around another $550 each.
Because the front copped a knock, add new head-bearings and at least 2 hrs. of labour...call it 150 for the bearings and 250 for labour.

Add GST and a few hours of wrenching....and we're between $3 and 4k now.
Bugger, forgot the new $200 front tyre.
The radiator is bent? New one plus incidentals and labour around the $1100 mark.
Nose cone plastics 470
Screen mechanism hardware? Around the $300 all up
Factory screen?" $300
Handlebars? 130
Handlebar weights 90/ set, handshileds 120/ set, cracked switchblock housing? $280-400 depending on which side
Side panels $1000 for both
"Boomerang panels" (under-seat) $90 each
Headlight (because of the broken hanger tabs at the housing) 600 bux
Front fairing frame 400
Under-panel 120
Dashboard panel bent/ cracked? 190
Instrument unit?? Another 700...
Of course, all plus GST and labour....
Gouge in the alloy of the rear swingarm? There's a good grand plus labour and GST.......and a set of new needle bearings etc etc...call it 1800 total amongst friends.

The frame has a crack just above the front footpeg bracket bolts ? (weak-spot of the DL650 frames)....$4 grand plus GST and labour and re-registering the frame with VicRoads, call it around $6k++ just here. On that figure alone the bike's an insurance write-off.
New seat because the vinyl cover of the old one is ripped? 500 bux +GST

And since the engine-case is a structural member of the frame, is there a little crack in one of the hanger-lugs, weeping a tiny bit of oil?
That needs a new set of matched!! engine cases, removal of the old engine, transfer of all internals, re-install into the frame etc....a good $3k for the cases and around $$2.5-3k for labour. Another instant write-off figure here.

Just about none of the above would show on a photo....and I've certainly seen all of those points of damage on Stroms over the years.
Not that other bikes/ models are any less expensive, though...
Prices mentioned above are ballpark only, a bit high here, a bit low there, but with multiple items damaged, it'll be fairly accurate all up.

$11.500 damage on a $10.000 bike? No problem!
I'd ask to be allowed to remove non-standard/ non-insured extras...if any...even pay the dealer who did the quote to arrange that and mail them down to you....then just buy a new one with the pay-out.
If it's not full-comp insured or significantly under-insured, it's a different ballgame.

glitch_oz

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce j on Tue Nov 13 2012, 13:50

You can negotiate a buy back of the parts. I guess the biggie is if the forks or frame are bent.

bruce j

Back to top Go down

Post by Wezzo on Mon Nov 12 2012, 18:51

Pato wrote:Does anyone know about reregistering a repairable write, just in case I decide to go that way?

Thanks Pato.
From my own experience I can tell you that I would never bother to try to register a repairable write off again because it costs about $500 to get the Engineer's certificate and before you can get that you need to have repaired every bit of damage.
It might not be so bad to go that way since you owned the bike prior to the accident and you know what to expect.
My ex bought a 250cc scooter a few years ago which we didn't know was on the Repairable Write Off register and that's what it cost us to get it off the register.
I would suggest that if they are going to replace the bike, keep the damaged one as a spare parts bike which could save you a lot of $ down the track.
Wezzo

http://viragotechforum.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post by ladyrider on Sun Nov 11 2012, 07:37

Registering a repairable write-off
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The Vehicle Identity Validation (VIV) inspection
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
ladyrider

Back to top Go down

Post by Pato on Sun Nov 11 2012, 00:36

Just waiting for the email to say they are written off and let me know what they are going to payout.
I was very surprised when talking to the assessor that they seem to have quoted for many parts that I don't believe were damaged in the accident.
It significanlty adds to the cost when you include a new tank that replaces the one that isn't damaged and the new muffler that was behind the pannier that didn't move.
When I asked the assessor about these couple of items he told me that he had photos to show that these were damaged.
They only quoted for about $1000 in labour so there must be lots of parts.

Does anyone know about reregistering a repairable write, just in case I decide to go that way?

Thanks Pato.

Pato

Back to top Go down

Post by Ron & Det on Fri Nov 09 2012, 13:21

Bike looks repairable to me,
but yes we get ripped of for parts,
and the big killer today is bloody labour costs,

Ron & Det

Back to top Go down

Bike Repairs

Post by Ron & Liz on Fri Nov 09 2012, 12:20

Pato

The problem is that the Bike Crash Repair Industry is in the same position today that the Car Crash Repair Industry was about 20+ years ago. Back then there was a hue and cry over the cost of Motor Vehicle Insurance and to cut a long story short the problem was traced back to exploitation by manufacturers overcharging the cost of parts to fix them! Some gruru sat down and figured that to build a standard base model Holden by buying the individual parts over the counter would cost about 7-8 times the Holden recomended retail price of the same car off the showroom floor!! And that was before any discounts were applied!!
The Bike Crash Repair industry today is the same only today we don't have the likes of the RACV or VACC or the press doing battle for us. What laughingly passes as a representative body for motorcyclists eg the MRA now dead but it won't lie down doesn't have the B**s to take up the call for an enquiry and even if it did we Bikers represent only a small and insignificant part of the motoring public so we have to suck it up!

Its far cheaper for your Insurer to buy you a replacement bike that to repair it!!

Ron & Liz

Back to top Go down

Post by Pato on Fri Nov 09 2012, 00:32

Hi all,

Some of you may remember I posted about the abrupt end to my central Australian motorcycle tour.
I pranged west of Alice Springs and broke my collar bone.

Well that bit is under control but the bikes are another matter.
My accident was nearly 7 weeks ago and today I got a call from the assessor to say that my bike and my son's (he went off trying to stop in a hurry when he came upon me lying on the road) are going to be written off.

I was gob smacked to say the least. Shocked I have looked at the photo's over and over again and can't see where the cost is.
I thought I would put the photo's on here and get some input.

The Vstrom has $11500 damage and the Honda has $12000 affraid

Am I mistaken or does there not seem that much damage?

[img][/img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Pato

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum