Travel Insurance for Overseas Motorcycle Holidays

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Travel Insurance for Overseas Motorcycle Holidays

Post by glitch_oz on Mon Aug 26 2013, 11:58

Trevor Hudson wrote:
However if you are considering riding in Thailand, South America, Turkey and other parts of Europe,
you will need a policy which caters for the normal 650cc or larger motor bikes.
For the upcoming Euro-Alps trip, we decided on the "Select-A-Benefit" type of policy (NOT THE STANDARD Policies) from WorldCare, which is one of the many Allianz-backed brands. (like 1-Cover/ Coles/ AussiePost/ Commonwealth Bank etc etc)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

They cover all the needed options, don't have a cc-limit and DO include motorcycles under their "vehicle" definitions (which is important in regards to having cover for rental-vehicle excess, as that is quite hefty in many countries, the US for one, and even more so with Rental-Bikes).
The rest of their cover and/ or available options are pretty much industry standard.

Also, their age-loading seems to be very reasonable, at least compared to many others.

Trevor Hudson wrote:

Whichever company you choose, read their Product Disclosure Statement and check that their
Can't press that point hard enough!!
Read first...then email (so the replies are in writing)...then sign.

Problem with all this info is that by tomorrow their definitions/ fineprint and rules/ policies have changed and whatever is
said here might as well be deleted as it doesn't apply anymore.

glitch_oz

Back to top Go down

Cost of Travel Insurance for riding a larger motorcycle overseas

Post by Trevor Hudson on Fri Aug 23 2013, 17:53

Fellow Ulyssians,

I thought I should update you on Travel Insurance for riding a large capacity motorcycle overseas.
Many Insurance Companies have a low cc limit. RACV & Flight Centre policies are limited to 200cc,
which is fine if you are only riding a small scooter in Bali, or a 125cc Russian Minsk in Vietnam.

However if you are considering riding in Thailand, South America, Turkey and other parts of Europe,
you will need a policy which caters for the normal 650cc or larger motor bikes.
If intending to ride overseas, I recommend you get a few quotes, including ones from - 
Worldcare Travel Insurance, Tel. 1800 008 614
and
OnePath Travel Insurance, Tel. 132 062, or 133 665.

For a 2-week policy covering riding a 650cc bike in Thailand in November,
Worldcare quoted about $100, OnePath about $150.

Similar quotes from QBE - even if you qualify for a 20% discount, and from SureSave, were both just over $200 each.

Whichever company you choose, read their Product Disclosure Statement and check that their
Travel Insurance Policy covers the following points, plus any requirements particular to you.
1. Is there an upper age limit for motorcycle riders?
2. What is the claim limit for lost luggage and personal effects like cameras?
3. Are medical claims resulting from motorcycling injuries while touring covered?
4. Does the medical cover include a flight back to a hospital in Australia if required?
5. Does the rental vehicle definition include Motorcycles, and if so up to what cc Capacity?
6. Does the Travel Insurance cover the Insurance Excess, if the motorcycle is damaged?
7. Does the Travel Insurance cover include Theft from, or of, the motorcycle?

Cheers from Trevor. Very Happy

Last edited by Trevor Hudson on Tue Sep 03 2013, 21:48; edited 1 time in total

Trevor Hudson

Back to top Go down

Travel Insurance for Overseas Motorcycle Holidays

Post by Trevor Hudson on Sat Feb 23 2013, 15:10

If intending to take out Travel Insurance for an overseas holiday where you will be riding a motorcycle, you are advised to download their Product Disclosure Statement to check that their Travel Insurance Policy covers the following points, plus any requirements particular to you.

1. Is there an upper age limit for motorcycle riders?
2. What is the claim limit for lost luggage and personal effects like cameras?
3. Are medical claims resulting from motorcycling injuries while touring covered?
4. Does the medical cover include a flight back to a hospital in Australia if required?
5. Does the rental vehicle definition include Motorcycles, and if so up to what cc Capacity?
6. Does the Travel Insurance cover the Insurance Excess, if the motorcycle is damaged?
7. Does the Travel Insurance cover include Theft from, or of, the motorcycle?

As you may know I am travelling to Thailand from 10-24 November 2013, to ride a 650cc Kawasaki ER6, and I would welcome your company on my tour.

RACV who I used to use for Travel Insurance now has a 200cc limit on motor bikes ridden overseas. This same cc limit applies to the Travel Insurance offered by Flight Centre and many other providers.

However I did find a few policies which didn't penalise my age, or the bike capacity.
Many Travel Insurance policies don't cover points 6 & 7, so you should also take out Comprehensive Motorcycle Insurance with your motorcycle hirer.

If intending to ride overseas, I suggest you check out the following 3 Australian providers of Travel Insurance, to see which one best provides the cover you require for your next holiday.

OnePath Travel Insurance Tel. 132 062, or 133 665.

SureSave Travel Insurance Tel. 1300 787 376.

QBE Travel Insurance Tel. 133 723, or 1300 555 017.

Some providers offer cheaper Travel Insurance if applying On-line.
QBE tends to be more expensive, but offers a 20% discount to existing insurance policy holders.

Happy holidays and safe riding from Trevor Hudson. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Very Happy

Trevor Hudson

Back to top Go down

Re: Travel Insurance for Overseas Motorcycle Holidays

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum