BLUE DUCK 2017

View previous topic View next topic Go down

BLUE DUCK 2017

Post by JOHN ECKHART (FONZE) on Fri Feb 03 2017, 15:53

THE 10th “BLUE DUCK” RIDE, 2017

Ride Leader:   Gerd Brachmann
Date:             Thursday, 2nd March 2017 - Sunday, 5th March 2017

Starting Point: Lilydale, Shell Service Station (2 March, 7.15 for a 7.30am start)

Day 1:    Ride up to the Blue Duck at Anglers Rest, via Noojee, Heyfield, Stratford, Bairnsdale, Omeo. Take up accommodation, drink, have a chat, have dinner “in”.

Day 2:    BBQ breakfast, then a ride over the Bogong High Plains Road and the Omeo Highway (including Falls Creek, Mt. Beauty, Sandy Creek, Lake Dartmouth, Mitta Mitta; this ride is recommended for everyone…at least everyone with a bike). Back at the Blue Duck, chat, drink, eat again (over a BBQ or an informal pub meal), and have an entertaining evening, getting a start on the Highland Games.

Day 3:    Rest Day, mainly. The 10th Highland Games (with Trivia Quiz, Dummy Spitting, Egg-and-Spoon Racing and other such grand events) aiming to find a winner or winners for the Blue Duck Trophy.

Day 4:    Ride back home via Omeo, Hotham, Bright, Mansfield, Healesville.

Total Ride Distance:             1150 km

Ride Level:                   Medium / hard.

Additional Notes:

1.      Note that this is a weekend of good riding and fun – an unbeatable combination!
2.      There will be sufficient petrol stops for all.
3.      As most of you know, there is cabin accommodation at the Blue Duck. Each cabin is fully serviced with bedding, towels, full sets of crockery and cutlery, tea and coffee-making facilities by way of a gas stove, a wood heater and wood (if needed), lights and ensuite bathroom. As the facility is powered by a generator, we are basically shut off from the hectic outside world (and that is lovely…).
Each cabin can accommodate up to 6 people. There is a double bed in the main entrance / lounge / kitchen area, and another room contains another double bed and 2 single (bunk) beds. (Of course, you may put in a request for people to share with, and I’ll try my hardest to accommodate such requests; but this can’t be guaranteed, unfortunately…)
However, there is also a nice campground over the bridge, about 50 metres away (a facility within the Alpine National Park). Camping there is free, and you would only have to pre-pay for a lunch and some incidentals (see costs below).
4.      Costs involved:

-          Either: $ 240.00, including 3 nights’ cabin accommodation, Stratford Lunch (Day 1) and incidentals;
or: $ 45.00 if you’re camping, and including Stratford Lunch (Day 1) and incidentals.
(Payment of this by the middle of January.)

-          Other costs (approx.):
-   Dinner Day 1: The hotel serves a very nice dinner (no BYO here). Food and drinks come at a similar price compared to other pubs. (Please check the menu on their web page www.blueduckinn.com.au.) Dinner and drinks are paid for as at other pubs; this dinner is mandatory (part of my arrangements with The Blue Duck Inn);
-   Breakfast Blue Duck Days 2 and 3: BBQ breakfast (about $ 8.00);
-          Breakfast Omeo Day 4: $ 12.00 – $ 15.00 (full breakfast);
-          Morning Teas Days 1-4: approx. $ 30.00 total;
-          Afternoon Teas Days 1-4: approx. $ 30.00 total;
-          Lunches Day 2-4: $ 35.00 total (give or take…);
-          Plus: Dinner Days 2 and 3: BBQ or other, prices at cost ($ 20.00 at most for BBQ);
-          Petrol.

Please take some water or other drinks for on the way.
Whoever wants to bring BYO liquor, is welcome to consume this in and around the cabins, not in the Blue Duck pub.

What to expect:

ü  Excellent motorbike riding (tight corners, majestic sweepers, fast and long straights) through the best of Gippsland, into ‘the mountains’ (including the highest sealed road in Victoria), over the Great Alpine Road, and via Mansfield home into our wonderful Yarra Ranges.
ü  Very good camaraderie with doses of fine food and drinks, and some Schnaps, perhaps…
ü  The superb battle to wrest the Blue Duck Trophy out of Ian & Gayle’s, Stephen’s and Len’s hands.

What to do next:

If you’re planning to come along, please advise me as soon as possible (by Email, if possible).

Any questions?

Please contact me
-          by Email (g.brachmann@minopher.net.au), or
-          by text message to my mobile (0415 996 653), or
-          by phone (9894 1730).
-           
In the meantime: Safe Riding!

Gerd
JOHN ECKHART (FONZE)

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: