Ride calendar

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Ride calendar

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 18 2013, 15:30

What does this mean David ???????????????

If noting else it should give people an idea who they should be voting for in the up coming elections[/quote]

Danny M
Ride Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Firefly_au on Fri Jan 18 2013, 10:50

Hi Blydie,

It already does indicate unread posts on my browser by changing the message icon color to indicate unread messages and there is the button on the lower right to mark them all as read. I wonder why you apparently don't get it doing that for you? Perhaps it could be related to the browser you are using?

So it may be best if you and Ron get together sometime to discuss the issues you seem to be having, as it could be a more complex issue than we might initially assume.

Good luck with it

Nigel
Firefly_au

Back to top Go down

Post by Blydie on Fri Jan 18 2013, 09:21

Ron, I think this question and any further questions are relevant to "all" who use this site and it should be answered here.

I am away caving a few corners this weekend so I'm sorry I wont be able to catch up with you.

If noting else it should give people an idea who they should be voting for in the up coming elections
Blydie

Back to top Go down

Post by Blydie on Fri Jan 18 2013, 08:38

I await your PM
Blydie

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Jan 18 2013, 07:19

Blydiie

I think it is best that this thread be terminate and you either speak to me in person or resort to PM.

Ron

Admin
Admin

http://yarrarangesulysses.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Blydie on Thu Jan 17 2013, 22:16

Ron a question with notice.
Is the forum software capable of, or upgradable to have Unread Message Tracking?
Blydie

Back to top Go down

Forum Differences

Post by Firefly_au on Thu Jan 17 2013, 18:58

Hi All,

My understanding is that this current forum is much easier for those that do the day to day work of maintaining it and the information it provides to all members - so it is better than the previous forums despite any limitations that are present in it - such as Wayne's and Blydies' comments. There are some minor teething issues with it but all it takes usually, is for someone to have a one on one or courteous conversation with our hard working web master. If it can be done it usually will be sorted to meet the needs of our members in some form or another. That has been my experience with our current web team anyway.

Please be aware though that this is a different forum engine and it will not work the same as any previous forum because its features are different despite being easier to manage. We as members will need to adjust if the changes are apparent from our previous use of the Yarra Ranges Forum especially if caused by the feature set of the new forum engine.

We could have gone with the forum supplied by the National Committee and had little or no local control of the forum! None of this discussion would be relevant! I for one would prefer that our forum remained under the control of our local web master and local committee as they can serve our needs in a more targeted manner.

Cheers
Nigel
Firefly_au

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Jan 17 2013, 07:35

Wayne et al

Postings are sorted by default in chronoligical order based on date and time of posting with newest posting contining the most recent information taking pecedent at the top (Hello - its a BULLETIN Board!!!!) which naturally pushes older postings down the list to make way. Its physically impossible for all postings made to share top position!!!! - This is Bulletin Board!!!!!!

It you check your normal Internet Email (unless you have changed the defaul settings) its the same way. Someone sends you an Email and you reply - theirs to you is moved down to make way for yours back to them.

If we reverse the order then Members will have to scroll down to read all subsequent postings anyway so what's the difference???????!!!!!! The Subject Line should tell you wnat its all about and that will detemine if its of interest to you.

If we change the order someone will bitch that they have to scroll down to read the responses. So either way you are danmed if you do and damned if you don't!!!!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wezzo on Thu Jan 17 2013, 00:57

And I thought it was only me that had to scroll to the bottom to read the older messages.
Oh well... The forum looks good just not as easy to use on a small screen.
I might not live down there any more but I left behind a lot of good friends that I wish to stay in touch with.

Be cool and keep up the good work...
Wezzo

http://viragotechforum.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Blydie on Wed Jan 16 2013, 20:57

You miss the point Henry. I not having a go at the website per-say.

I dont go to a website because it looks good, or is easier to navigate than another, in fact I don't really care and I would have a hard time describing a website ten minutes after I left it.

I go to a web site for information. When that website makes you jump through hoops or in this case download files for me to get that information, that's not a good website.

And you can only guess what I said when you stop to read a thread called "Ian Bailey" on a 3 inch screen and the first words you see are "Sorry to hear about Ian's predicament", you franticly try to find out whats happened to Ian till you eventually find Gerd's first post at the bottom of the thread, not at the top like every other forum I know of.
So now I have to scroll to the bottom of the thread and read up if I want to read posts in chronological order. . .

If you make information hard to get to, people wont come and read it

PS. I notice Ron has fixed the ride calendar, thank you.
it wasn't that hard was it?
Blydie

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Rokx on Wed Jan 16 2013, 19:27

Similar to Lee, I don't want to see this topic developing into a slanging match, but
I have had nothing but positive feedback about our new website. I have even had compliments
from people outside of our branch who have been quite impressed with the new set up.
I personally find it easy to use and have had no difficulty working my way around it.
I'm no computer genius but for me it is a bit easier than the old website. Some items
have been streamlined such as the Branch Rides section. The programmed rides can only
be posted by the ride coordinator or webmaster. This is to ensure that the Branch Rides page
does not get clogged up with unnecessary or contradicting information and so the rides can be kept
in chronolgical order. This takes the place of the old rides page which some people didn't seem to
be able to find.
Impromptu rides can simply be posted on the general notice board as usual, the same as any last minute
details or changes for a programmed ride.

If anyone has any concerns or questions, it is probably best that you speak directly with
Ron on Saturday morning at the Brunch Cafe or catch him at the social at CPCC. Throwing questions
and issues up on the website can sometimes be counterproductive and comments can be miscondtrued
leading to all sorts of angst and arguments.
Our website may not be perfect, but it is better than we had and now better managed. And it is
a lot better than what a lot of other branches have got, so please enjoy it. We cater for a lot of people
with varying computer skills and therefore we can only do our best to keep most people happy.

Henry Rokx
President

Henry Rokx

Back to top Go down

Post by wongka on Wed Jan 16 2013, 16:36

I don't want this to become a slagging match but I find this hole site difficult to navigate, for all the reasons that blydie has stated. Because of this I for one have become less active on the forum, or is that the intention to filter? Please don't take this as a direct insult it is not my intention.

wongka

Back to top Go down

Post by Blydie on Tue Jan 15 2013, 21:47

Thanks for your edited reply Ron
Admin wrote:If memory serves me correctly Blydie the Ride Calendar today is exactly the same as it was under previous Web Administrations only a darn sight easier to access!!!!!

That is not true Ron, the ride calendar was posted in 3 different ways on the previous site.
1. In the forums so people could discuss and ask questions on the ride and post up impromptu rides. (something that Bikechickadee is having a problem with at the moment)
2. In an announcement format for quick and easy access.
3. In an excel PDF file format so people could print it out and hang it on their wall. That never seemed practical to me, because information changed every few days, but that is what some wanted.
I would also point out this page was designed so it could be read in your web browser and were not forced to down load it

Admin wrote:Previous admistrator's had the opportunity to switch to html but chose not to for whatever reason and the Committee decided to continue the pdf format as it seemed to present the least difficulties to our members as that is what they were accustomed to!
Not true, you could read it in your web browser.
Tests also showed there were more people visiting, and far more page hits on the announcement and forum pages.

Admin wrote:It should be said however that it was never the intention to have members store these files on their computers for exactly the reasons you mentioned and perhaps that is why previous administrators chose to remain with pdf format because the Calendar changes so rapidly!! It was intended for members to either view the latest version on line or run off a print to hard copy until it was superseded by a more recent update.
Yet that is how you pass on information Question

Admin wrote:If anyone does want to store files on their PC’s it should also be mentioned that the Ride Calendars are identified by date of posting so once again it should not be a problem identifying the latest files on your computer and a few minutes housekeeping to delete any out of date files that pre-date the latest on your PC should be a simple task. Whether that is indeed the latest edition can be easily checked by a quick visit to the Website to check the date and see if there have been any later editions than the one you have.

It needs to be mentioned also that Committee and the Ride Coordinator have received nothing but complimentary comments on the current site so it does seem that the site meets the needs of the majority of the membership.

Perhaps you need to ask around more.
Every thing I read you start at the top and read down the page, one of the basic rules of written english, except this forum where we have to start at the bottom of the page and work up.

Admin wrote:Having said that the Committee will take on board your ”comments” and we will investigate

Web Admin

Thanks Ron, all I'm asking is to be able to access information quickly and easily without clogging my bandwidth and disc space with unnecessary files.
Blydie

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jan 13 2013, 22:40

If memory serves me correctly Blydie the Ride Calendar today is exactly the same as it was under previous Web Administrations only a darn sight easier to access!!!!!

Previous admistrator's had the opportunity to switch to html but chose not to for whatever reason and the Committee decided to continue the pdf format as it seemed to present the least difficulties to our members as that is what they were accustomed to!

It should be said however that it was never the intention to have members store these files on their computers for exactly the reasons you mentioned and perhaps that is why previous administrators chose to remain with pdf format because the Calendar changes so rapidly!! It was intended for members to either view the latest version on line or run off a print to hard copy until it was superseded by a more recent update.

If anyone does want to store files on their PC’s it should also be mentioned that the Ride Calendars are identified by date of posting so once again it should not be a problem identifying the latest files on your computer and a few minutes housekeeping to delete any out of date files that pre-date the latest on your PC should be a simple task. Whether that is indeed the latest edition can be easily checked by a quick visit to the Website to check the date and see if there have been any later editions than the one you have.

It needs to be mentioned also that Committee and the Ride Coordinator have received nothing but complimentary comments on the current site so it does seem that the site meets the needs of the majority of the membership.

Having said that the Committee will take on board your ”comments” and we will investigate

Web Admin

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Ride calendar

Post by Blydie on Sun Jan 13 2013, 20:29

Surely in the year of 2013 it is possible to post information on the website without making us all downloading PDF's. I, as I'm sure many do, check information on the web on several deferent computers/devices including my phone.
I don't want to fill up my phone, work computer with multiple copy's of pdf's then I won't know which is the latest copy.
This seems to be a very inefficient way of conveying information that is often updated.
Inefficient in cost, time, bandwidth and hard disc space for both the members and the club.

Posting this information as a html web page allows everyone easy access to the latest information quickly and efficiently

Is this something that should be considered?
Blydie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum