Yarra Ranges Ulysses
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kilcowera Station

3 posters

Go down

Kilcowera Station  Empty Kilcowera Station

Post by BernieH Thu May 12 2016, 13:21

Well done John. Sounds like a good trip for you and your trusty BMW.
Why is it that the Strzelecki Track through the desert often seems to be wet? When our team passed through southbound we were stranded for 2 nights at the
Montecolina Bore as the road was washed out. That was interesting, as we then hit one of the biggest dust storms ever passing through South Australia.
I'm sure everyone is looking forward to your next adventure report.

BernieH

Back to top Go down

Kilcowera Station  Empty Re: Kilcowera Station

Post by Tinas_Harley Tue May 10 2016, 23:23

Wow. Have to get my map out and have a look.
Tinas_Harley
Tinas_Harley

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 08 2016, 18:07

You are awesome! And to think I reckon I've achieved something worth celebrating by getting from one end of Marginal Rd to the other............

Back to top Go down

Kilcowera Station  Empty Kilcowera Station

Post by JgC Sun May 08 2016, 09:09

Kilcowera Station
2016 Annual Get Together
Ulysses Adventure Riders SIG
3rd May - 5th May
The annual get together was held at Kilcowera station about 1200 kms west of Brisbane . It is a working cattle station of approx 200,000 acres

It seems for most that the journey to and from is just as important as the event itself. Briefly mine went like this
Home to Ouyen overnight .Through Hattah-Kulkyne up to Mildura ,Wentworth ,on the dirt through to Renmark then Burra over night .Then Peterborough Hawker Blinman ,back on the dirt to Arkaroola overnight . Here was a stroke of luck to spot another Guys  heading up the Strzelecki and going to Kilcowera ,Peter Murphy and Gary Fair. The Strzelecki was challenging to say the least . Almost 500km to Innamincka and only a few stations in between .The track varies from sand to rocks , hard packed clay ,washouts and lots of wildlife . And 10 billion flies where we stopped for lunch ! At one stage we though we would have to camp on the track but we made Innamincka  just before dusk . Slept well that night !! From there it was off to Burkes grave and then the Dig tree to Noccundra overnight where we camped by the Wilson River.Back on the bitumen we pumped our tyres back up and had another easy day to Thargomindah overnight then Kilcowera

There was a mix of camping and bunkhouse accomodation. It was well attended by about 65 members from all over the country . Most arrived early on the Tuesday afternoon with some stragglers arriving just after dark .The roads and wildlife are challenging in the daylight ! Many of the local roads were closed after rain on the Sunday/Monday.  After a good feed it  was time to meet new friends and catch up with old ones .The Wednesday was spent by many on a ride over to lake Wyara on the eastern edge of the property .A couple of the muddy creek crossings were a bit challenging  but  worth the ride .Lamb shanks for dinner on Wednesday and a few ales to wash the dust away . Thursday was breakfast and pack up with people going home in all directions.

I headed for home with Peter Murphy , Peter Maguire and Trevor ? The road south was in good condition considering the rain with only a couple of slippery spots .Through Hungerford and Wanaaring ,we camped overnight about 30kms from White Cliffs.
Then Wilcannia ,and Ivanhoe where we went our separate ways home. For me it was overnight at Hay then Jerilderie , Berrigan  and Yarrawonga for breakfast , then Benalla ,Bonnie Doon and home

Stats
Distance Covered - 4235 Kms
Fuel - 237lt
Longest distance between fuel stops -485km
Dirt Roads -1609km

JC
JgC
JgC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content